We supply individual training sessions that allow users to work independently within a few hours. It is recommended to work with your own samples during these instructions. This ensures that settings of microscopes are optimal to obtain useful data already during this first session. It is recommended to practice and ask for feedback to learn tweaking the settings of a microscopes.
To allow evaluation of output and thus continuation of financial support by the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine we ask users to acknowledge us in published material. An example:
“Images were acquired in the Center for Cellular Imaging (CCI) at the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine Utrecht and we thank … for help and technical advice”. When CCI staff members contribute significantly to published work we rely on the scientific integrity of the authors to obtain co-authorships in return.
Financial support by the faculty is partially compensated by charging the use of CCI microscopes. It does not relieve users from the obligation to acknowledge the CCI. Current pricing is outlined in the table below.
|RATE (€/HOUR)||GENERAL USE||INSTRUCTIONS|
|CCI equipment||Internal Cost||External Cost||Commercial||Internal||Commercial|
|GE-H OMX v4blaze||25||30||var||30||var|
|Leica SPE-II Confocal||20||25||var||30||var|
|Leica Cryostate CM3050||*||*||*||*||*|
|High end PC – Workstation||5||15||var||n.a.||n.a.|
*Cryostate has been moved, Inform Judith Hendriks ( 4149) if you want to use the machine.
Daily charges run from 07:00 to 21:00, an overnight session costs €50,- (internal rate, running from 21:00 to 07:00). Fee for a weekend session -from Saturday 07:00- Monday 07:00- is €160.
External commercial fees need to be negotiated with the staff (var in the table).
– We are in a ML2 designated area so wear a lab coat and do not eat or drink in the microscopy rooms.
– After live cell experiments on the NIKON system, empty TOKAI-hit water basin using vacuum pump, place 70% EtOH in the basin and leave for ~10 minutes. Empty using vacuum pump again and dry the basin with tissues. The right collection flask vacuum pump should contain Chloride solution (10x solution=1 SUMA tablet/liter), and should be emptied the day after imaging.
– Collect solid waste in plastic bags that are placed in the frame next to the sink, after finishing close it and dispose in yellow bin in the corridor (next to the gas cylinder cabinet)
– Spill accidents need to be cleaned using EtOH and/or supplied soap solution. ALLWAYS notify the CCI staff when this occurs
– Clean up mess before and after use
– Take your data from the system, next users can have a freezing PC when the hard drive is full
– be careful with motorized xy tables and preset positions, collision of objective and sample adapters can occur when different holders are used
– Be careful with objectives, clean using proper cloths
– Prevent accumulation of dust by placing cover(s) over mic after use
– Cells can be kept in our incubator, yet we choose NOT
to humidify it, less contamination result from this. Humidifying your cells is done by placing dishes inside 15 cm dishes together with a pre-wetted tissue or an open milliQ-filled dish.